Join our online Art Group taking place every Wednesday from 28th July until 29th September from 5pm - 6.30pm.
The Art Group is open to autistic people and their families and aims to bring people together for creative expression in an informal and safe environment. It offers the chance for a mindful break from the day’s worries and can help to reduce stress.
The Art Group will be led by our talented Support Worker, Gabriele Gikyte, who has an academic background in art and experience of running a Virtual Art Group in our services in Lothian. Each hour and a half session will explore an artistic medium and an abstract theme which can act as guidance to start off the creative process.
Attendees will be encouraged to view the theme through their own personal lens, brainstorming ideas and searching for ways to best depict their vision. Gabriele will share knowledge and tips on how to work with the different mediums and materials. The materials to use are for guidance only and the attendees can always work in their preferred medium and explore it in their own way.
The mediums and themes we will look into are:
- ink (pen, brush), theme - pattern
- pencils, theme - letting go
- coloured background (canvas, paper), theme - contrast
- paint (acrylic, oil), theme - being kind
- unique medium (something unexpected), theme - courage
- 3D (clay, paper, knitting, etc.), theme - fidgets
- natural materials (vegetables, plants, stone, soil), theme - acceptance
- stamp, theme - imprint your favourite material, holding space
The sessions will run via Zoom so you will need a computer or device with good Wi-Fi. Cameras and microphones are preferred but not compulsory and please feel free to join in as many sessions as you like.
- Keep discussions civil
- Do not be afraid to ask questions
- Engagement is not compulsory
- Join in as many sessions as you like, the more the better!
- The sessions will run via Zoom, you will need a computer or device with good Wi-Fi
- Cameras and microphones are preferred but not compulsory
Gabriele has been running and facilitating a Virtual Art Club in East Lothian since April 2020, as well as providing staff and supported individuals with hand drawn colouring sheets for the sessions.
How to book
THIS SESSION IS FULLY BOOKED.
This is Block 2 of the Virtual Art Group
Time: 5pm to 6.30pm
Date: 15th September 2021
Please note that you can now book sessions in advance. You can also pick and choose which sessions you would like to attend in block 2.
Block 3: Dates to follow
Please email any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet the Host in our short video
Gabi describes what you can expect when you join the Wednesday evening Art Group.