This event is part 1 of 2.
Time: 10am - 2pm
About the speaker:
John McDermott, Councelling Psychologist
John has a particular interest in relational and systemic approaches to working with individuals, families and caregivers in autism, developmental disability and care settings.
- Difficulties around control.
- Social comprehension and common difficulties
- in this area.
- The drive for sameness; executive functioning
- impairments of autism.
- Working with lack of motivation.
- Autism experience and trauma.
- The importance of awareness of caregivers,
- their state and introducing the idea of
- relational mindfulness (Hughes) and the low
- arousal model (McDonnell).
- Working with emotions and individual
- experience of emotion; alexithymia,
- interoception and atypical sensory experience.
- Making sense of theory of mind impairments in
- Use of mindfulness as a caregiver intervention.